Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Gotham Got Your Goat?


You know, sometimes Gotham can be a real enigma.

I'm not sure where Gotham is taking us and I don't quite understand how they are going to reconcile their mythology with the preexisting Batman history.  But there is one thing I am sure of, we are all in for a wild ride.

All joking aside, this was a fun episode.  Let's start with the best part.


Once again the Penguin steals the show!

When we get to the "bathtub" scene I have to admit I was left with my jaw to the floor.  I thought, "Ohhh noo, where are they going with this?"  (Maybe they should move this show to the 9:00 hour after the winter break.)  I have to admit it was also pretty hilarious. 

Mama Cobblepot and her son have a unique relationship don't they?  I once remarked that the good guys all have Daddy issues while the bad guys seem to have issues with Mommy.

Yikes, like this!


It still makes me laugh as I type this.  Kudos to Gotham for being willing to go there and playing it for comedic effect.  It worked.  I'm not going to say I'm dying to see more, that's a bit too creepy, but I think we can all agree the Penguin is the best thing about this show so far.


His grand entrance at the GCPD was a thing to behold also.  I half expected him to giggle with delight rotten teeth and all.  He knew he had set a figurative bomb off and was watching as the whole scene unfolded.


Poor Harvey.  This was also a pretty good Bullock episode too.  We find out out he once had a heart of gold and was just as much of a boyscout as Jim Gordon.  Somewhere deep down beneath that gruff and cynical exterior beats the heart of a detective.  All to be upstaged by the Penguin.

Was this the best episode of the season so far?


Odds and Ends


I think I figured out why we see the clock in Jim and Barbara's apartment so much.  We're going to see the ugly aftermath.  Penguin did say there is a war coming and it's going to land right at the doorstep of the their apartment.

I have no doubt an attempt will be made on their lives and the probable ensuing explosion will devastate the apartment leaving it uninhabitable.  All that will be left behind will be the shattered remains of the clock.

Many, many years from now the apartment will return to life when Batgirl and the Birds of Prey will make it their headquarters.  We are just seeing the "before" picture.


I've been super curious if we will see the iconic Bat sequence that inspires young Bruce to become the Batman.  In Batman lore, Bruce sits alone half asleep in the study when a bat enters through the open window.

When the curtains parted I think I gasped a little hoping this would be the moment.

Nope it's just Selina.

I think she wants to connect with Bruce but she just can't find the courage just yet.  So why not steal something while your there!  I have a feeling Bruce will see that silver box again.


Before I forget here is the Queen Consolidated Easter Egg that popped up during the episode.  I think it happened during the second tracking shot of the city.  It might have been the third.  They always sneak in a little something in those city scenes.  The "Q" for Queen Consolidated was briefly visible.  Not knowing when this show takes place in relation to the current "Arrow" and "Flash" shows, this could be a moment in time when Ollie's father is still alive and the head of the family industry.

Sigh, more Daddy issues to come.

So, I'll ask again, was this the best episode of the season?

No comments:

Post a Comment